Frequently Asked Questions

When is the best time to visit Thailand?

During the cool season between November and March.

What vaccinations do I need before coming to Thailand?

There are no required vaccinations, unless you are coming from an infected area. Yellow fever certificates are required for those who are coming from an infected area. Please check the latest regulations with your local health office.

For further information red our Health Tips For Travelers section

Do I need a visa ?

Best advise is to read out Visa & Passports section

Temporary visitors who are exempted from applying for an entry visa must be of the nationality of and holding a valid passport or travelling documents issued by :

  • AMERICAS Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, U.S.A.
  • ASIA Bahrain, Brunei, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Myanmar, Oman, Philippines, Qatar, *Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Turkey, United Arab Emirates
  • PACIFIC Australia, Fiji, *New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Western Samoa.
  • AFRICA Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Kenya, Mauritania, Morocco, Senegal, South Africa, Tunisia, Yemen.
  • EUROPE Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovene, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, U.K.

People meeting the above conditions are exempted from a visa and are permitted to remain in the Kingdom for a period not exceeding 30 days, except for the nationals of the Republic of Korea and New Zealand, who are permitted to stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days from the day of entry.

Note : Please check the period of stay stamped in your passport upon entry into the Kingdom.

For more details contact the Immigration Division,
Soi Suan Phlu, Sathon Tai Rd., Bangkok 10120
Tel : (662) 287-3101 – 10
Fax : (662) 287-1740

Where can I get information on the Orient Express?

Eastern & Oriental Express Train Prince, contact:
Sea Tours Co., Ltd
Suite No.88-92, 8th floor., Payathai Plaza 128 Phayathai Rd,
Rajathevee, Bangkok 10400
Tel: (662) 216-5783-93
Fax: (662) 216-5757-58

Where can I find out more about Thai Boxing?

Thai boxing is a sport and a means of self-defence. Contestants can use almost any part of their body: feet, elbows, legs, knees and shoulders are all ‘weapons.’ Traditional music played during bouts adds to the excitement. The three main venues in the Bangkok area are:

Ratchadamnoen Stadium: Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue, Bangkok
Tel: (662)281-4205

Lumphini Stadium : Rama IV Rd., Bangkok
Tel: (662)251-4303

Samrong Stadium : Samut Prakan
Tel: (662)393-3592

Where can I find information on exporting and importing?

Department of Export Promotion,
22/77 Ratchadaphisek Road, Lad Yao,
Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900
Tel: 511-5066 to 77, 512-0093 – 0104
Fax: 512-1079, 513-1917

What are the customs regulations?

Prohibited items: All kinds of narcotics (hemp, opium, cocaine, morphine, heroin), obscene literature, pictures or articles. Firearms: Importation of firearms and ammunition can be done only after a permit has been obtained from the Police Department of the Local Registration Office.

Personal effects: A reasonable amount of clothing for personal use, toilet articles, and professional instruments may be brought in free of duty.

Cameras: One still-camera or one movie camera can be brought in without duty. Five rolls of still-camera film or three rolls of 8 or 16 mm movie-camera film may be brought in free of duty.

Tobacco, alcoholic beverages: Cigarettes, cigars,or smoking tobacco each or in total must not exceed 250 grams in weight. Cigarettes not exceeding 200 in quantity. One litre each of wine or spirits may be brought in free of duty.

Household effects: A reasonable amount of used household effects, accompanied by the owner on change of domicile are also free of duty.

Plants and animals: Certain species of fruits, vegetables and plants are prohibited. Please contact the Agricultural Regulatory Division, Bangkhen, Bangkok, Tel : 5791581, 5793576. Permission of entry for animals coming in by air can be obtained at the airport. If entering by sea, the application must be made at the Department of Livestock Development, Bangkok, Tel: 251-5136, 252-6944. Vaccination certificates are required.

What are the regulations regarding the export of antiques from Thailand?

Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or fragments thereof are forbidden to be taken out of Thailand. A license must be obtained from the Department of Fine Arts in order that such objects of antiquity or objects of art, irrespective of whether they are originals or reproductions, may be taken out of the country. For a license application, contact the National Museum, Tel. 226-1661, 281-0433